The publishing industry can be overwhelming. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to build an author platform, write a book, get it published, generate sales, and earn an income. My goal is to help you build a plan and learn about the strategies needed to help accelerate your progress as a nonfiction author and influencer.
Whether you want to gain more visibility for your book, build your platform, establish yourself as an authority in your field, or learn how monetize and build a business around your book, you’ve come to the right place.
Due to a very busy schedule, I am only able to accept a small number of consulting clients each year, though inquiries are always welcome. If we work together, I ask that you be committed to taking action. I can give you all of the direction in the world, but without action, there can be no results. And I want you to achieve BIG results!
Nonfiction Book Publishing and Marketing Consulting Topics
Following is a general outline of the topics we can work through together, though not all apply for every client. We will tailor the consulting program to your specific needs by working through these topics as they apply to you. This list is also known as our exclusive Thought Leader Checklist.
- Business Name
- Business Structure (LLC, etc.)
- Target Audience/Niche
- 30-Second Pitch
- Business Startup Tasks
- Business Licensing Requirements
- Budgeting and Finances
- Accounting and Tax Planning
- Legal Considerations
- Personal Site, Magazine Site, or Both
- Domain Name
- Email Setup
- Professional Design (WordPress, responsive)
- Blog Content Strategy
- Essential Pages: About, Speaker, Book, Media, Services, Contact
- Elements: Social Media Links, Newsletter Sign-up (with incentive)
- Photos/Images (branded?)
- Video (optional)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Email List Building
- Website Audit
- Social Media Goals
- Facebook Live
- LinkedIn Pulse
- Content Strategy
- Memes, Info Graphics
- Royalty-Free Images
- Scheduling/Time Management
- Paid Advertising
- Best Practices
Book and Publishing Options
- Manuscript Writing
- Copyright Protection
- Self-Publishing Steps
- Traditional Publishing Strategy
- Ebook Distribution
- Audio Books
- Foreign Rights
- Pricing Strategy
- Website Sales
- Bulk Sales
- Launch Plan
- Sales Tracking
- Amazon Reviews
- Amazon Author Central
- Book Launch Plan
- Launch Copy
- Book Reviews
- Guest Blog Posts
- Paid Marketing
- Social Media
- Email Marketing
- Print Publications
- Publicity/Media/Press Releases
- Purchase Media Lists
- Media Training
- Build a Media Portfolio
- Internet Radio/Podcasts
- Book Awards
- Online Groups
- Offline Groups (Meetup)
- Book Tours
- Marketing Collateral
- Website Optimization
- Website Traffic Strategy
- Ebook Promotions
- Lead Magnets
- Essential Online Tools
- Direct Mail
- Trade Shows and Events
- Monitor Mentions
- Track Results
- Hiring Help (virtual assistant, PR firm, etc.)
- Foundation for Starting
- Locating Opportunities
- From Free to Fee
- Fees and Contracts
- Topic Development
- Presentation Development
- Slides and Visuals
- Speaker One Sheet
- Website Strategy
- Skill Development
- Business Practices
- Pro Strategies
- Related Services
- Corporate Training
- Online Classes and Events
- Information Products
- Special Reports
- Product Licensing
- Freelance Writing
- Member Site
- Recurring Revenue
- Certification Program
- Corporate Sponsorship
- Affiliate Programs
- Partnership Strategy
- Website Ads
- Bulk Sales
- Hiring and Outsourcing
Download a printable list of topics:
Thought Leader Checklist
About Stephanie Chandler
Stephanie Chandler is an author of ten books including:
- The Nonfiction Book Publishing Plan: The Professional Guide to Profitable Self-Publishing
- The Nonfiction Book Marketing Plan: Online and Offline Promotion Strategies to Build Your Audience and Sell More Books
- Own Your Niche: Hype-Free Internet Marketing Tactics to Establish Authority in Your Field and Promote Your Service-Based Business
- Booked Up! How to Write, Publish, and Promote a Book to Grow Your Business
- LEAP! 101 Ways to Grow Your Business
- The Author’s Guide to Building an Online Platform: Leveraging the Internet to Sell More Books
- From Entrepreneur to Infopreneur: Make Money with Books, eBooks and Information Products
How Stephanie Chandler Works with Clients:
- Assist in identifying target audience and author platform strategy.
- Help build publishing and marketing plans.
- Create a revenue-generation plan.
- Evaluate/audit client website and provide detailed suggestions for improvement, or oversee development of site with author’s web designer.
- Review and improve sales copy, website copy, book jacket copy, etc.
- Recommend resources for website design, social media management, publicity, and more.
- Partner with client on an ongoing basis for accountability and forward momentum.
Why Work With Stephanie Chandler?
Though there are many publishing industry consultants, few have such a vast array of experience:
- Worked in the Silicon Valley, with roles in technical support, course development and training, and software sales.
- Built a 2,800 square foot bookstore from the ground up (2003), turned it into a successful local business, and then sold it three years later.
- Launched Authority Publishing in 2008.
- Launched the Nonfiction Writers Conference in 2010.
- Launch the Nonfiction Authors Association in 2013.
- Self-published her first book, and then worked to build a platform, which led to signing with an agent and selling three books to traditional publishers.
- Left traditional publishing behind and returned to self-publishing after growing frustrated by the lack of control available in the traditional space. To date, she has authored ten titles, with more to come.
- Built several high-traffic websites, a mailing list with consistently high open rates, and a social media following of over 100k people.
- Has been featured in Entrepreneur magazine, BusinessWeek, Inc.com, and Wired magazine, plus many television and radio programs.
As an author who walks the talk, Stephanie has earned income from speaking, corporate sponsorship agreements, digital products, online training courses, writing articles for magazines, and various other revenue streams. She understands what it takes to build an audience online and loves working with motivated professionals who want to make a difference in the world.
Reach Your Goals with Consulting Services for Nonfiction Authors
Working with an experienced consultant can help you establish and meet your goals and fast-track your success. Save yourself time and money by building a plan with an industry professional who has walked the talk.
Consulting sessions are conducted by phone or Skype. Consulting retainer packages start at $1,800 for six 1-hour sessions.
“My calls with Stephanie far exceeded my expectations. Highly recommended if you are in the final stages of writing your first or second book… Amazed by her knowledge on the subject and kindness to share it in such detailed and actionable ways. Stephanie is quickly turning into my trusted go-to source for anything book creation and promotion related.”
Fabian Geyrhalter, author How to Launch a Brand
“Stephanie, As I said early on, you are amazing. You have a terrific knowledge base on so many subjects. So many people told me that the hardest part of being an author was the marketing but I never fully appreciated it until now. You have saved me countless hours of research into the various processes and I know in the end these things will result in significant sales.”
Dr. John W Hanes, author Winning with Style: Six Proven Strategies to Forge Powerful Relationships
“Stephanie knows how to turn an author’s ideas into a concise, compelling marketing plan. My investment in her consulting services is definitely yielding a high return.”
Carol Goldsmith, coach & author, Return on Experience: Turning Past Performance into Future Success.
“Working with Stephanie was a fantastic experience. As a first-time author, she gave me the confidence knowing that I was in good hands. She knows her space, the business of books and the tricks of trade that will help any new comer make the best out of this challenging environment. The fact that she also knows a lot about sales and salesmanship, was tremendously useful in her teaching me how to sell my book across multiple fronts, leveraging my own website, the newer social media outlets, speaking engagements as well as traditional methods.”
Paul D’Souza, author Delivering Peak Performance
“I first met Stephanie Chandler in May 2007 when she made a suggestion to me that I wrote a book about my professional craft as a business broker. In simple but eloquent terms, Stephanie explained the process, left me a copy of her book – From Entrepreneur to Infopreneur – and her willingness to help any way she could. From that one idea, I have grown to four books but none of this would have been possible without Stephanie’s suggestion, proven knowledge and process to make it happen and being readily available to fill my knowledge gaps.
I‘ve thrown many questions at Stephanie over the years and not only does she have the answer but always the best way to do it. If you want to add a new dimension to your business and do it in the shortest time possible, Stephanie will initially stimulate and challenge you but partner with you to make it happen; all with the highest standard. Quite simply Stephanie knows her stuff. And in addition, she delivers. It doesn’t get any better than that.”
Andrew Rogerson, author Successfully Sell Your Business
“After a nation-wide search, I hired Stephanie’s firm, Authority Publishing, to publish my first book, The ABC Formula: Building Your Life’s Enduring Core Values. Her depth of expertise is remarkable, and her staff was responsive – and I’m not an easy client to please. She is a pleasure to work with. I’m working on book #2, The ABC Formula of Leadership, and plan to use her firm again. I give her my highest recommendation.”
Bill Cole, author The ABC Formula
“I found Stephanie in the blogosphere and through one of the dynamic web conferences she hosted. Just by asking her a few questions, I knew she was super knowledgeable, helpful and clear about what success looks like. She has the experience to know what works and what doesn’t. Stephanie and her team have put me on a structured marketing plan that is already delivering results, after just 2 months. I welcome anybody to contact me through http://danamanciagli.com and see the work that Authority Publishing is guiding me through!”
Dana Manciagli, author Cut the Crap, Get a Job!
“Stephanie Chandler is an expert in her field. She is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to strategic marketing. She helped me navigate through the complexities of a four-book series. Stephanie and her staff are accessible and their advice is crucial to the success of book publishing and marketing. Highly recommended!”
Donna Hartley, International speaker and author of the Fire Up! Series