The publishing industry and the world of book marketing can be overwhelming. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to build an author platform. My goal is to help you build a plan and understand the tactics involved so that you can accelerate your progress as a nonfiction author and influencer.
Whether you want to gain more visibility for your book, build your platform, establish yourself as an authority in your field, or learn how monetize and build a business around your book, you’ve come to the right place.
Due to a very busy schedule, I am only able to accept a small number of consulting clients each year. If we work together, I ask that you be committed to taking action. I can give you all of the direction in the world, but without action, there can be no results. And I want you to achieve BIG results!
Nonfiction Book Publishing and Marketing Consulting Topics
Following is a general outline of the topics we can work through together, though not all apply for every client. We will tailor the consulting program to your specific needs by working through these topics as they apply to you.
Build the Foundation
- Define your niche focus
- Determine where to find your audience
- Identify personal goals
- Establish authority in your subject matter
- Build a plan for monetization
- Develop marketing collateral
- Get big-name endorsements for your book
- Prepare for your book launch
Website Assessment and Improvements
- Plan your website strategy
- Blogging essentials
- Search engine optimization tactics
- Keyword strategy development
- E-mail marketing
- Impact of existing website content
- Website content development
- Visitor data collection
- Site navigation and suggested improvements
- Online sales and ecommerce
Social Media Strategy
- Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram
- Social media automation
- Where to spend your time
- Where to find your target audience
- Resource allocation
- Social media best practices
- Book publishing (self)
- Book publishing (traditional)
- Special reports
- Ebooks on Amazon and beyond
- Video & images
- Information product marketing
Online Marketing Strategy
- Online profiles
- Strategic alliances
- Visibility with internet-based media
- Guest blogging and blog tours
- Podcasts and teleseminars
- Internet radio shows
- Online events, classes and conferences
- Webinars and teleseminars
- com promotion
- Amazon Author Central
- Tracking mentions online (beyond Google alerts)
- Online advertising (Google Adwords, Facebook ads, etc.)
Offline Marketing Strategy and Publicity
- Public relations (PR)
- Pitch strategies for radio, print, and television
- Interview preparation (media training)
- Resources for locating media opportunities
- Break in to professional speaking
- Book awards programs
- Book signing events
- Freelance writing
- Direct mail campaigns
- Consulting and coaching
- Professional speaking
- Live workshops and classes
- Online classes and events
- Certification programs
- Membership programs
- Information products
- Freelance writing
- Bulk book sales
- Corporate sponsors
- How to land a traditional book deal
- Self-publishing steps and options
- Book distribution
- Bulk sales
- Ebook formatting and distribution
- Audio book production
Download a printable list of topics:
Nonfiction Book Publishing and Marketing Consulting Topics (PDF)
About Stephanie Chandler
Stephanie Chandler is an author of nine books including:
- The Nonfiction Book Marketing Plan: Online and Offline Promotion Strategies to Build Your Audience and Sell More Books
- Own Your Niche: Hype-Free Internet Marketing Tactics to Establish Authority in Your Field and Promote Your Service-Based Business
- Booked Up! How to Write, Publish, and Promote a Book to Grow Your Business
- LEAP! 101 Ways to Grow Your Business
- The Author’s Guide to Building an Online Platform: Leveraging the Internet to Sell More Books
- From Entrepreneur to Infopreneur: Make Money with Books, eBooks and Information Products
A frequent speaker at business events and on the radio, Stephanie has been featured in Entrepreneur magazine, BusinessWeek, Inc.com, and Wired magazine.
A Silicon Valley refugee and former bookstore owner, Stephanie Chandler is a content marketing expert who walks the talk. Despite a busy schedule, she is actively involved in social media, blogging, and online promotion every day.
After self-publishing her first book, Stephanie sold several books to traditional publishers. She eventually returned to self-publishing after growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of control in traditional publishing.
In addition to founding Authority Publishing in 2008, Stephanie is also founder and CEO of the Nonfiction Authors Association, an educational community for experienced and aspiring writers, and the Nonfiction Writers Conference, an annual event conducted virtually with 15 speakers over three days. She is passionate about helping authors defy the odds and achieve greater success.
How Stephanie Chandler Works with Clients:
- Assist in identifying target audience and author platform strategy.
- Help to build an online and offline marketing plan, including training on social media platforms, blogging, etc.
- Build a revenue-generation plan.
- Evaluate client website and provide detailed suggestions for improvement, or assist in initial development of site with author’s web designer.
- Review and rewrite sales copy, website copy, book jacket copy, etc.
- Recommend resources for web design, social media management, PR and more.
- Partner with client on an ongoing basis for accountability and forward momentum.
Reach Your Goals with Consulting Services for Nonfiction Authors
Working with an experienced consultant can help you establish and meet your goals and fast-track your success. Save yourself time and money by building a plan with an industry professional who has walked the walk.
Consulting sessions are conducted by phone or Skype. Consulting retainer packages start at $1950 for six 1-hour sessions.
“My calls with Stephanie far exceeded my expectations. Highly recommended if you are in the final stages of writing your first or second book… Amazed by her knowledge on the subject and kindness to share it in such detailed and actionable ways. Stephanie is quickly turning into my trusted go-to source for anything book creation and promotion related.”
Fabian Geyrhalter, author How to Launch a Brand
“Stephanie, As I said early on, you are amazing. You have a terrific knowledge base on so many subjects. So many people told me that the hardest part of being an author was the marketing but I never fully appreciated it until now. You have saved me countless hours of research into the various processes and I know in the end these things will result in significant sales.”
Dr. John W Hanes, author Winning with Style: Six Proven Strategies to Forge Powerful Relationships
“Stephanie knows how to turn an author’s ideas into a concise, compelling marketing plan. My investment in her consulting services is definitely yielding a high return.”
Carol Goldsmith, coach & author, Return on Experience: Turning Past Performance into Future Success.
“Working with Stephanie was a fantastic experience. As a first-time author, she gave me the confidence knowing that I was in good hands. She knows her space, the business of books and the tricks of trade that will help any new comer make the best out of this challenging environment. The fact that she also knows a lot about sales and salesmanship, was tremendously useful in her teaching me how to sell my book across multiple fronts, leveraging my own website, the newer social media outlets, speaking engagements as well as traditional methods.”
Paul D’Souza, author Delivering Peak Performance
“I first met Stephanie Chandler in May 2007 when she made a suggestion to me that I wrote a book about my professional craft as a business broker. In simple but eloquent terms, Stephanie explained the process, left me a copy of her book – From Entrepreneur to Infopreneur – and her willingness to help any way she could. From that one idea, I have grown to four books but none of this would have been possible without Stephanie’s suggestion, proven knowledge and process to make it happen and being readily available to fill my knowledge gaps.
I‘ve thrown many questions at Stephanie over the years and not only does she have the answer but always the best way to do it. If you want to add a new dimension to your business and do it in the shortest time possible, Stephanie will initially stimulate and challenge you but partner with you to make it happen; all with the highest standard. Quite simply Stephanie knows her stuff. And in addition, she delivers. It doesn’t get any better than that.”
Andrew Rogerson, author Successfully Sell Your Business
“After a nation-wide search, I hired Stephanie’s firm, Authority Publishing, to publish my first book, The ABC Formula: Building Your Life’s Enduring Core Values. Her depth of expertise is remarkable, and her staff was responsive – and I’m not an easy client to please. She is a pleasure to work with. I’m working on book #2, The ABC Formula of Leadership, and plan to use her firm again. I give her my highest recommendation.”
Bill Cole, author The ABC Formula
“I found Stephanie in the blogosphere and through one of the dynamic web conferences she hosted. Just by asking her a few questions, I knew she was super knowledgeable, helpful and clear about what success looks like. She has the experience to know what works and what doesn’t. Stephanie and her team have put me on a structured marketing plan that is already delivering results, after just 2 months. I welcome anybody to contact me through http://danamanciagli.com and see the work that Authority Publishing is guiding me through!”
Dana Manciagli, author Cut the Crap, Get a Job!
“Stephanie Chandler is an expert in her field. She is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to strategic marketing. She helped me navigate through the complexities of a four-book series. Stephanie and her staff are accessible and their advice is crucial to the success of book publishing and marketing. Highly recommended!”
Donna Hartley, International speaker and author of the Fire Up! Series